20 February 2012

smash* my junk drawer book

smash book

Do you Smash*? So I *think* I heard about these originally on Teesha Moore’s blog, but over the months and weeks these have filtered several times into my world from the ether. At the time, and for a long time, I kind of dismissed them as being just another pre-packaged, slightly gimmicky, blank journal. After all, weren’t they just a dressed up version of the old style scrapbook-diary that gave a home to all those bits and pieces of flotsam that make us smile, but don’t know what else to do with?

However... even I, she who loves to do-it-myself and probably would do another time, couldn’t get this concept out of my head and just had to see ‘what was so special’ about them in person. This of course is fatal: for some people it’s shoes or handbags, for me it’s stationery; and in particular, fresh, new notebooks... *cough* So I got me one with the plan to use it as that catch-all for my paper flotsam dotted about and see how I got on with the idea...

smash booksmash book

...some of my favourite blank pages. The quote says, "for Beauty to grow we must nourish it with Inspiration". I like that. If anyone can enlighten me as to the artist whose doodles feature in the red Smash* book, I'd love to know...

Well one could say that I have been having a ‘smashing’ time with my doodle-style book and have already used up the little glue stick that comes with the combo pen, and it’s not even full!

smash booksmash book

...some cards and cute packaging from handmade sellers and recent happy mail. I LOVE that pretty Fiona Hewitt card, and the stickers remind me of playing Happy Families as a kid *grin*...

smash book

...and a couple more pages. This is getting fat really quickly and I love the multi-layered look of all the pages together...

I have to admit, I really like my Smash* book for the purpose I bought it for. While I could spend my time arty-fying a blank book, or even binding my own from scratch, sometimes you just want to get stuck into the guts of a thing and this (or something like it) is just the book for that. It's a really nice size, the pages are surprisingly sturdy (more like card than paper) and with fun doodles and prompts scattered throughout, they are ready to go. While I did also treat myself to one of the cute little bookmarks to go with, I chose to save my pennies, resist the other pretty things I could have got to go with and the too matchy-matchy look. Know what I mean?

smash book
"Do you Smash*?"
video // blog // webshop
xo, B


// you may also like //
:: wreck this journal
:: repurposed lunch sack journal