19 April 2011

extraordinary adventures

A huge fan of Luc Besson's movie 'The Fifth Element', I am excited to hear of his latest cinematic adventure finally being released to a wider audience this week, and possibly a chance to see it myself on the big screen.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec is based on the graphic novels and stories by Jacques Tardi, a historical high adventure featuring mad scientists, secret sects, Egyptian mummies brought back to life, and a host of other weird creatures including a pterodactyl! As you can imagine, quite fantastical and most definitely a romp of an adventure to be enjoyed. For myself I am keen to see more of the beautiful costumes which include quite an array of enormous and fabulous hats donned by the adventuress in question, the beautiful Art Nouveau architecture and all round atmosphere of the thing.

I am also curious to see Catherine Hardwicke's version of 'Red Riding Hood', though probably not on the big screen. Again for the costumes and sets rather than the story (though that could be kind of fun). I've heard mixed reviews, and as I am not (sorry to those who are!) a huge fan of the Twilight series I think I can wait 'til it's on DVD to see...

As for the time being while I wait for these to become available to see, I can 'console' and engross myself with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Avatar and Sherlock Holmes which have all been recently added to our DVD collection and my 'visual research library' *grin* (When 'research' is as fun as this, I'm not sure I can write if off on my taxes, though *hehe!*)

What's your favourite movie for visual feasting? I'd love to hear your recommendations, fantasy, sci-fi or otherwise...